My favourite things

Every blog site is a unique creation by the author(s), especially if guest bloggers are invited to post. They often become searchable curations of favourite things – a way to manage and keep some of the web-gems we find and save. Here are a few of mine, since I’m open and willing to share.

Inspirational videos and messages for educators, teachers and students.

Still I Rise

An additional inspirational video shares Maya Angelou’s struggles to acquire her voice [The Revelation that Changed Dr. Maya Angelou’s Life] can be further inspiration for you as you venture into sharing your educator’s voice on a blog or create a space for your students to develop their voice through blogging.

Maya Angelou “Still I Rise”

Media Smarts Canada – teacher resources [links to frameworks, outcomes by province, Media Literacy 101, Digital Literacy 101]; searchable database for lessons and resources for any grade level, resource type, topic, or media type.

Common Sense Media – Tool Search, Ed Tech Tool Reviews, and Top Picks lists, along with lots of teaching application options. You can also access a FREE set of digital citizenship lessons for use in the classroom – this is US focused but could be adapted to fit Ontario curriculum expectations

The ISTE standards for digital skills and citizenship for students, educators, and leaders. These are available in many different languages to support dissemination and awareness.

Creative Commons provides many possible links, but I love to use their search tool, now called Openverse and powered by WordPress. I also jump to the CC license chooser tool when building all things blog-ish!

Equity Unbound – website full of links and resources, self described as “an emergent, collaborative curriculum which aims to create equity-focusedopenconnected, intercultural learning experiences across classes, countries and contexts”.

25 Years of Ed Tech – the open and accessible book written by Martin Weller as well as the serialized audio reading of chapters along with between the chapters conversations as a podcast about this book.

Speaking of Podcasts – VoicEd Canada is not to be missed if you are an educator – many rich and insightful conversations with educators across Canada and around the world.

Here are a few of the bloggers I follow

Alan Levine aka CogDog – the original blogger of all things blog-like and more [CogDogBlog]

Jennifer Casa-Todd – author and speaker, educator, active in digital citizenship; organizer of #GlobalEdSSChat (site and Twitter (Jennifer’s Twitter link)

Jen Giffen – aka Virtual Giff – because she sketchnotes (find her on Twitter)

Peter Cameron – WordPress blog site and Twitter; shares a special project he does with his students called Junior Water Walkers